The history of
Sobrance baths dates back to 1336, when the baths were known as ‘Four salt
springs’. Mineral healing water was known across the whole Austro-Hungarian
empire and attracted many visitors from aboard. Water was used in the baths for
different healing purposes as well as packed into bottles and shipped to the
other parts of the country.
partly destroyed during the First, later during the Second World War and only
one of the historic buildings has been preserved and the new buildings were
built. The baths were
closed in 2004, and they have been in a private ownership since 2006. The town
of Sobrance has been trying to restore the areal and use the potential of very
special mineral water, together with help of an investor, but ownership rights and insufficient
funding block all future steps.